Thursday, June 2, 2011

Trip continued




I'll try it finish up that last post. Had to stop in Stockton to drop off about half the trailer and load up a bunch for WA, and a stop in Yreka, CA. They wanted me to deliver that on the way up to WA. The problem being that it was 2:30 in the afternoon before they got me loaded up, and Yreka is 5 hrs away. I called the store and arranged to deliver it the next morning. That was not what management had in mind, so after a bunch of going back and forth they decided that I would bypass that stop on the way up, load 6 stops for OR on the trailer coming back to Riverside, then put the Yreka on from my trailer when I get there. So, now I have 6 stops in OR on the way back, plus the Yreka I have to work around on the back. I'm not happy. For one, this makes another full day on the road to deliver this stuff. I don't know where any of the locations are, or what it is going to be like to deliver to them. Now, in my experience so far, these stores are in downtown areas, stripmalls, or shopping centers. I have a 53 ft trailer, and my tractor is about 23 feet long. Not exactly a delivery truck. So it can get exciting from time to time. I was asking them what the procedure would be if I could not make Yreka again. Our yard is 143 miles from the OR border, plus OR is 309 miles long. 6 stops, figure 30-60 min per including travel to and from the fwy, and 6 hours driving through OR. Yreka is about 40 miles over the border. Not looking too good. But, I try to keep a positive outlook. Got to Puyallup as early as possible, which was about 1:30. took me about an hour to get everything done, and I do mean me. Everyone was apparently gone for the weekend. Got back to the fwy about 3 o'clock. DEAD STOPPED. Oh yeah!! Memorial Day weekend. First big holiday of the summer. RV's, trailers, boats, dirt bikes galore. Wonderful. Did I mention it is pouring rain?? Swell. I managed to get back down to Portland around 7PM and had a wonderful dinner with Brittney and Brian. Plus had a couple of micro brew Porters to relax. :-) Got up early, was at the first delivery before they opened and busted ass all day in OR making those deliveries. Was on the phone with the nice lady in Yreka a few times, and told her when I was on my way to her place. She waited for me, bless her, and I was done at about 5:30 Sat evening. Hopped in the truck and headed for Corning. The halfway point between Puyallup and Riverside, more or less. Slept in a little late Sunday morning, had some breakfast, and headed home. Ended up getting home about 8:30 PM. What a week. Went about 3500 miles all told. Had a little bite to eat, watched a bit of TV and crashed out about 10. Got up Memorial Day morning hussled out the door to attend a MD ceremony with the American Legion Riders group, then headed out for a ride to Lake Elsinore. What a beautiful day it was. Perfect weather. Good friends, my girl on the back. Pure heaven. Got back home about 7:30 that night and was so tired could hardly sit up. But it was a good tired. Slept about 10 hrs, got up did a few chores and got the call to go back to work. Packed up, showered, made some sandwiches and coffee, grabbed a hour or two of sleep and headed out North again. But that is for another post. :-) Oh, wanted to add some pictures I took last time I was out but couldn't get them to load. Will try here. Wish me luck, travel wireless is not the greatest.

No comments:

Post a Comment